I have recently graduated from Plymouth University obtaining a First Class in BSc Chemistry. My final year project, supervised by Professor Steve Rowland, involved the synthesis of novel naphthenic acids and investigating their association with the inherent toxicity of the large pools of process water formed as a result of the processing of oil sands.
In the summer of 2013 I completed an internship in the pharmaceutical industry working for Lonza Biologics, Slough. I have also spent time in the petroleum industry, Intertek, Sunbury.
In October 2014 I started my PhD under the supervision of Professor Steve Rowland and Dr Anthony Lewis. The PhD is provisionally titled: 'The Polar Constituents of Petroleum' and initial work has focussed on the development of a new method for the separation of heavy crude oils.
- Robson, W.J., Sutton, P.A., McCormack, P., Chilcott, N.P. and Rowland, S.J. (2017) Class type separation of the polar and apolar components of petroleum. Analytical Chemistry 89, 2919-2927. [doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.6b04202].
- 27th Annual Meeting of the British Organic Geochemical Society, Imperial College London, London, U.K., 13-14 July 2016. Oral Presentation: "Poles Apart: Characterisation of the Polar Constituents of Crude Oil".
- 17th International Conference on Petroleum Phase Behaviour and Fouling, Petrophase 2016, Elsinore, Denmark, 19-23 June 2016. Poster Presentation: "Separation, Identification and Measurement of the 'Polar' Constituents of Crude Oils".
- 40th International Symposium on Capillary Chromatography and 13th GC×GC Symposium, Riva del Garda, Italy, 29 May-3 June 2016. Poster Presentation (colleague): "Application of Multi-Dimensional Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry Techniques to Explain the Increased Sensitivity of Atlantic Haddock Embryos to Crude Oil Pollution".
- 7th Annual Biogeochemistry Centre Conference, Plymouth University Marine Station, Plymouth, U.K., 16 December 2015. Oral presentation: "Improved Separation, Identification and Measurement of the 'Polar' constituents of Crude Oils".
- 6th Annual Biogeochemistry Centre Conference, National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth, U.K., 17 December 2014. Oral presentation: "Polar Compounds in Crude Oil".